Friday, September 12, 2008

How to Use a Broad Keyword for Local Use?

How to use a broad Keyword or Keyword Phrase for local use. That was something I had never really given much thought. A first, I would construct a web page, buy a domain, upload the HTML to my domain and I was done. But when reality sank in and I could not locate my site within the Search Engines Result Pages it was then that I discovered that my site was still missing something essential.

That something was a key piece of building a website.

Here is the story. I found this HTML template that really impressed me. It was not graphically challenging and it seemed to match my expectations. So I purchased it and I began to modify it. After I uploaded it. I then waited for businesses to see me in my local area. Well, I waited and waited but it never happened.

I have been working with web pages for well over 10 years. But the fact that I knew HTML did not make me a crack shot at getting my own web site seen by Search Engines. In fact, this became a very good test of my experience and how I perceived the Internet's inner workings.

At the core, I knew that most Search Engines would need to spider my site but somehow I fell into some preconceived idea that they would find me by themselves. Boy was I stupid.

When I refocusing my perspective I soon discovered how Keywords were so influential for search engines.

The site I built was related to 'Web Design'. So after performing many searches on Google I found that there were considerably more than 862 million web pages dealing with my two Keyword Phrase. Once again I started checking page after page and when I did not find my site it was then that I began to agonize over 'What was I missing?'

Then I discovered some new keywords to study that focused on search engine strategies; "Search Engine Optimization" or SEO.

After researching and studying, I soon realized what I was not doing. Even though my site looked great and everything structurally was there. The site's problem was that it had not been optimized for Search Engines; my site, in effect, was in a hole or 'Sandboxed'. My chances of being seen by anyone other than myself was pretty remote.

Since, my Keyword Phrase 'web design' was in a large body of web pages. In essence, it represented a broad sector of an industry that was spread out over some 862 million pages. By adding a single keyword to my broad keyword phrase; such as 'Lynchburg'. Doing this one thing resulted in dividing the market into a workable segment of competition. Now my keyword phrase is 'Lynchburg Web Design'.

By adding that one word reduced the number from 862 million web pages to a mere 669 thousand web pages. Even though this is still a large number it will be easier to move higher in the Search Engine Result Pages or SERPs.

Now you know my Keyword Phrase technique.

Copyright (c) 2007 Buddy Shearer

Buddy Shearer is not a sought-after Internet marketer but rather a regular guy trying to make a living. He can be found building up SEO Tactics and other useful information. He also works to Support Missions and is looking for True Internet Success.